

For my exhibition in a box, I wanted to compose a self-portrait that embodies postmodern attributes. I made a modern looking plexiglass box, and filled it with personal items to make a 3D collage. Its pastiche that blurs fiction and non-fiction in that its a true portrait of me, but the items included take on a story of their own. In this way it also speaks to the inevitable fictionality of all experience. It is a paralogical examination of marginalized elements, and an integration of art and life. It blurs common life and higher culture by taking everyday items and making them into fine art. It involves the idea of the self as a construction, and a contextualized view of life (in that the objects' narratives become changed by their surroundings in the composition). I really enjoyed making this piece once I got rolling.

No comments:
Post a Comment