Monday, November 16, 2009

HIRST-SHIRT

For the t-shirt project, we were supposed to take a well known art work or cultural icon and reproduce it on the front, and make an 'intervention' our choice on the back. I choose Damien Hirst's 'For the Love of God', a platinum human skull covered in 8,601 diamonds unveiled in 2007. This is likely the most expensive piece of new art ever made. It seemed to me a good thing to think about it terms of modern culture, art and branding, copyright, and other topics involved in this class. After playing around with some compositions, I decided on the overlayed transparent version of his face over a photo of the skull. I liked the creepy way the two interacted, and I think the image speaks to the cult of personality in art. He is a symbol of our times who used marketing and savvy to emerge into the art world, and thereby create a brand that could sell. There's a link to a copyright case involving this piece in the post below.

No comments:

Post a Comment